Wednesday, May 11, 2011

That Silly Blue Lamb

Ode To Lambie
Oh lambie with your dingy blue fur and limp stuffing-less body you are more loved than any stuffed animal could ever be loved. There is not a moment that Joshua breathes that he does not share with you. If you are left behind for even a moment you are greeted with the joy and excitement as if you had been missing for a year. You love Joshua even when he is naughty, when he leaves you out in the rain all night, when you're covered in chocolate kisses, and even when you've been used as a napkin after spaghetti night. You love and understand Joshua at all times, and for that I am grateful.


Joshua with a few Lambies at the hospital



Batman &Lamie at halloween
I do not know what it is about this silly animal but he has captivated the attention of yet another Baker Boy. Jonas is enamored by Lambie. At first Joshua was excited about sharing his 'friend' with his baby brother, but now that Jonas is growing up more quickly and beginning to crawl Joshua's excitement has faded. I use to hear from the other room the sounds of the boys giggling and Joshua saying, "here you go Jonas." But now I hear cries and "that's not yours!"

You would think that a boy who has 3 Lambies could spare one, but think again.  Joshua forbidding Jonas from engaging with them has somewhat backfired and peaked his interest in them even more. If Joshua disappears into the kitchen for a snack the second he is out of sight I see Jonas leaning and inching toward the now abandoned Lambie. Just a brief moment later Joshua reappears in the living room and spying Jonas in Lambie's vicinity he races over and rescues his pal from tiny hands. I chuckle to myself enjoying the entire interaction and just as I'm turning away I see a sneaky smile creep across Jonas face and I tear up a little knowing that the relationship Joshua and Jonas have ahead of them will truly be an adventure.

Joshua and Labies first waterfront adventure

I'm not sure when the right time to wean Joshua off of Lambie will be. I think that Joshua will know. He already leaves him in the car from time to time when we head into walmart or McDonalds. Of course when he reunites with Lambie after the short break I can always hear him in the backseat giving Lambie a detailed account of all the things he missed while he waited in the car. I think that I will probably be more heart broken than Joshua when it's finally time to say goodbye to Lambie. After all he's been there through some pretty difficult times; many Doctor's appointments, cleft pallet surgery, potty training, Joshua's first big scrape, the day he first met Jonas, the first time he slept in his big boy bed, the first time he had the stomach flu, every road trip, every bed time and every nap. When I look through all the pictures I have of Joshua I can pinpoint exactly when Lambie showed up on the scene. From the day he came home from the store he has loomed in background if not at the forefront of everything Joshua has done and I have a million photos that document just that.


When it's finally time to leave Lambie behind I will no doubtedly tuck him safely away in a box and save him for someday in the future when it's time for him to head on a new adventure with Joshua. I'd never have thought he'd turn out to be so treasured. Maybe he'll even meet Joshua's son or daughter someday. You never know.
Just the other day worn out from being at church

2 comments:

  1. I used to have a black and white stuffed panda bear. It was time to give him up when he fell apart. I'm still partial to pandas...even if they are in a zoo or a picture in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job sweetheart! I couldn't have said it better. Lammie definately has become a part of our family. I can't wait to be reunited with you all very soon, and to hear our kiddo say, "Lee, Lee, Lee, Lee, Lee, LEE! Love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete