Saturday, May 14, 2011

I'd Rather Be at Starbucks

This past week Luke took a short trip to Orlando to attend meetings for our Church Conference.  When we first found out that the meetings would be held in Florida we daydreamed about me going along. We honeymooned in Orlando 5 years ago and had such a fantastic time we always talk about going back again. We knew however that Luke would have no real free time and it wouldn't be the kind of trip we wanted to take as a couple.

As the trip drew closer and closer I would hear Luke mention its location with a somewhat guilty tone. I could tell that he was sensitive to the fact that he would be in sunny Florida while I stayed at home with the kids. After leaving home very early Thursday morning to head for the airport in Sioux Falls, Luke actually missed his flight. Fairly disappointed about the change in plans, Luke called to let me know he's be in Sioux Falls for a little while waiting for the next flight out. I felt bad that his day wasn't going as planned and asked him what he was going to do to pass the time as he waited. "I think I'll head to a coffee shop and work on my sermon, you know, do some studying at a Starbucks or something." "You're gonna get to go to a Starbucks! Why can't you just stay at the airport?" I questioned him with some rather heated jealousy. Luke just laughed on the other end of the line. "You mean to tell me that all this time I'm planning my trip to Florida and not once do you act like it's unfair, but the minute I mention getting coffee and Starbucks you're outrageously jealous?" My response - "But now you're going to get a quiet cup of coffee, I want a quiet cup of coffee."

After hanging up the phone I smiled as I reflected on our conversation and I thought - wow my life has really changed. There was a time when a trip to Florida would have been a dream come true and filled me with abundant joy. Now I just don't need a trip to Florida to make me happy, I'm sure I'd have fun and I wouldn't turn a free trip down or anything like that, but I'm happy with things the way they are. I'm content. I love being with my family especially my kids. It feels good to know that God has blessed me so abundantly that I already have happiness and I don't need to search it out.


Happier than I ever knew I could be
 When I was 22 and out of college I wanted nothing more than to travel and experience everything that I could. I kept thinking that exotic experiences would make my life fuller and happier, but to be honest routine and mundane chores make me happier than I ever knew I could be. I no longer desire a week long trip to recharge, I only need a 15 min. coffee break and I'm ready to be back with my family. When I take a day off to go shopping while Luke watches the kids, I barely make it to lunch before I find myself lonely for their company. I have no need to be jealous of Orlando. What a  strange realization that I already have everything I ever wanted. Proof that God knows better than me what I need.

1 comment:

  1. I used to fly to meetings in Minneapolis about once a month and the meetings were at the airport. I thought they were the greatest meetings in the world because I didn't have to hail a cab to go downtown, or, worse yet, rent a car and fight the Twin Cities' traffic. Then video-conferencing came along and I didn't have to leave Bismarck. Wow, what an improvement. Some people might still think that traveling to a meeting is a fun adventure, but I don't. Be it ever so humble, there's no place home.

    ReplyDelete