Monday, January 17, 2011

A Moment I'll Never Get Back

We have a saying at our house that we use when we experience an amazing blessing or moment of pure joy we say, "we'll never get this moment back." I'll look at my husband or he'll look at me, and the minute it leaves our lips our hearts just sort of sink into this happy comfortable place where we realize that the life God has given us to live is beautiful.

This morning Joshua I were listening to the  Juke Box and the John Denver classic "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" came on. Joshua ran over to where I was sitting perusing my facebook account and tugged on my arm begging me to dance with him. I stood up and paused to hear what was playing and tears filled my eyes. Not because I love John Denver, don't get me wrong the guy is folk legend, but because when my son was just a few months old and so sick we didn't know that he'd live to ask me for this dance, we would play this song and dance him around hoping to get a smile from him.

I couldn't believe that he still remembered that song, or maybe he didn't and it was just a coincidence that he happened to want a dance at that moment, but regardless it blessed me. I scooped him up into my arms, he laid his head onto my shoulder holding me tight, and I said to no one else in the room "this is a moment I'll never get back." For a brief moment all of the memories of hospital stays, Doctors office visits, and bad news on top of bad news sped through my mind. I closed my eyes as I danced him around and I whispered into his ear "God saved you my little miracle."  Surprisingly for what may have been the first time ever, he didn't ask to get down, push me away, or tug on my hair but instead he snuggled closer and smiled.


Joshua 6 months @ his last transfusion 

Joshua just a few weeks ago


1 comment:

  1. I have had a lot of these "unforgettable" moments in my life. When I was about 12, my family took a vacation to the West Coast. I remember how lucky we were to be visiting my mom's aunts and uncles in Ronan, Mt., when they had scheduled a family reunion. It was at that picnic I had my first "we'll never get this moment back" event. However, I didn't really know what to call them. Thanks for sharing this beautiful story about Joshua and the miracle that he is. Even though I wasn't there, it goes into my "we'll never get this moment back" file.

    ReplyDelete