Monday, January 10, 2011

66,000 Miles of Memories

I braved the -3 windchill and 8 inches of fresh snow to give the Jeep one final cleaning before saying goodbye to it today. Sometime this afternoon I will be the owner of a new Dodge Grand Caravan.

I dreaded making my way out into the snow and cold to collect our possessions because I feared the sadness of letting go of something that had been such a big part of my life. But much to my surprise I wasn't that sad. As I pulled out sippy cups, baby blankets, and Cd's it dawned on me that I wasn't saying goodbye to a part of my life, I was moving on with it. The things I was collecting were just that - "things." My life no longer consists of me and my possessions; it's so much more. I love the owners of those sippy cups, blankets and Cd's and they are the true blessings God has given me.

There's a verse in Matthew Chapter 6 that says, "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourself treasures in heaven. For where you treasure is, there your heart will be also. I thought that I'd be heart broken saying goodbye to my Jeep today, but I wasn't. My heart is not in that Jeep.

That Jeep holds 66,000 miles of memories. Memories from the day I purchased it, right up until the moment I said goodbye knowing that there a lot of miles between here and heaven, and it was a blessing spending a few of them in a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

3 comments:

  1. I always liked your Jeep, too. It was very sporty and I'm sad to see it go. I remember when it came to North Dakota for the teachers conference and when it brought kiddo to stay with us last year. I might like your van more after it comes to visit us. Until then...I'll miss your Jeep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used this blog last night for devotions at our Men's Club meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I feel honored. Hope it spoke to them.

    ReplyDelete