Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Crazy Mom "Jobs"

Each and everyday my love and appreciation for my own mother grows as I face the needs and demands of my own children.

Just this morning I was mending Jonas's blankie and as I muddled through sewing it back together I thought to myself, " I wish I'd known sewing would be a pre-requiste for motherhood, I would definitely have paid better attention in home-ec class." As I sat in front of the sewing machine it occurred to me just how crazy and random the tasks of motherhood are. Then just as I was getting into "poor me" mode A vague memory crept in....I am pretty sure that at one time my own mother actually re-fur-ed an entire stuffed animal for me because it was my favorite. What a reality check! I snapped right out of it and thought this could be worse, I could have had to do the things my mother did. I know I often say this in my blogs, but I'm not sure that I could say it enough, "My mom is truly Super-Mom." In the truest sense of the title, because I cannot remember one time that she complained or even sighed about having to do something for me.

Here is a quick list of some of the Random Mom "jobs" I have done lately:

1. Repaired Joe's Blankie


2. Sewed a purple pocket onto Joshua's Corduroy Bear (evidently the Barnes and Noble bear makers have not read the sequel book A Pocket for Corduroy, but Joshua has and demanded that his bear have a purple pocket.

3. Assembled and glued down the boys' trainset to their train table so Jonas would stop taking it apart and Joshua would stop sobbing about it.


4. Re-sewed Corduroy's pocket after Joshua tried to stick his entire hand into it (did I mention my sewing skills are limited?)

5. After 5 months of searching for the missing camcorder cord I finally located it so that Joshua could watch the Denver zoo video we made when we first moved. Because when Joshua is not at the zoo he wants to watch himself being at the zoo...he's animal crazy!

6.  Tried hiding Joshua's vitamins in EVERYTHING and even last night when I crushed one up and smashed it into a fresh from the oven brownie he only ate half before noticing and handing it back to me saying, " I don't like that stuff you put in it." Major Fail :(

and many more...

Today when the boys returned from their morning with Daddy, Joe immediately spotted his freshly sewn blanket. He wrapped it around his head, giggled, smiled, and gave me a big hug around the leg. Totally worth the 20 minutes I spent threading and re-threading my sewing machine. Worth it, and then some. As I've become a mother I've been surprised by two things 1. How much I can love my children, and 2. How much I can love my Mom.

Joshua kissing his Corduroy
Jonas taking his Blankie to naptime



2 comments:

  1. Yeah, and when they get older you get to be a part-time psychiatrist, part-time cheerleader, part-time sports hero....you'll get the drift. And wait until you become the driver's ed instructor...or your salad days are still ahead of you honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually got teary-eyed at the train set picture. Our son (now 13) loved Thomas the tank engine and we still have a big tote full of track and trains now sitting in the basement. Cherish every moment of their lives because they grow up fast. Hopefully my future grandchildren will enjoy the wooden train set as much as I still do.

    ReplyDelete