Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Heart of Rock'n Roll is still Beating

After nearly bursting into song the other day while out shopping I got to thinking about songs that are just so irresistibly good I can't help myself from humming, tapping foot, and/or singing along. Every time I hear one I go through the same process: first I can't help but think or say out loud, "this song is so good." Next, I begin the head bobbing -syncing to the rhythm of the song. Inevitably foot/steering wheel tapping ensues, and lastly the most embarrasing thing of all-I can't help but join in on the chorus.

Here is my top ten list (I could easily have made this my top 100)
Songs I have to sing along with:

10. Revolution - Beatles
9. Runnin' Down a Dream - Tom Petty
8. Everday People- Sly & The Family
7.  Footloose- Kenny Loggins
6. Hold on Loosely- 38 Special
5. Go Your Own Way- Fleetwood Mac
4. Help Me Rhonda - Beach Boys
3. Down on the Corner - CCR (pretty much anything by CCR)
2. Don't Stop Believing- Journey
1.  Ain't no Mountain High Enough- Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye

My biggest pet peve right now: "young people" acting like Glee made classic rock songs famous, or better than the original. Here's a little insight, 10 years from now kids won't know what Glee is, but there will be a new show playing these same songs and "making them famous." It's the songs, not the show folks.

What would be on your list?

1 comment:

  1. We went to a concert in the park recently where one guy and his guitar entertained a park full of people...he played nothing but old cowboy ballads and I knew most of them. How about "Tennessee Stud, Big Iron on his hip, Tumbling tumble weeds, San Antonio Rose, etc." These were songs sung by the Sons of the Pioneers, Marty Robbins, Eddie Arnold and Bob Wills. It was remarkable to me how one guitar and one voice could entertain so many people. And the songs reminded me of a time long, long ago...let's call it the 1960s and my boyhood in Roundup. My dad's brother Henry had an incredible voice and could sing all of the old cowboy songs with no accompaniment. It makes me wonder how many other people -- every day people -- have voices that are better than the recording artists. For me, it's hard to pick 10 songs because I know so many and from so many different genres...there were my college days when "Sweet Home Alabama" was probably number one and "Margaritaville" was probably number two. I also love all of the Supreme's and Beatles songs. They are my two favorite groups, but I also think that "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones is the number one Rock and Roll song of all time. "Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison is another great one.

    ReplyDelete