Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Not now, I'm Tweeting for Bobbleheads

I recently opened a Twitter account. Not sure yet if  it was good decision, so far it's revealed several things about myself that I did not realize were running rampant.

First off, I'm not as funny as I think I am. Reading through popular tweets and following groups that I'm interested in I have discovered that most of the tweets that are "favorited" are humorous. That being said I have one of two problems- either I can't think of something funny enough to tweet or I can't be funny in the limited amount of characters that a Twitter account allows.

Secondly, I am more concerned with popularity than I'd like to admit. who knew that something as insignificant as a follower counter at the top of my "me" screen could illicit insecurity. But as I awoke today to find my count still read less than 10, I felt as though all the lunch tables were full and I was awkwardly carrying my tray looking for someone to accept me.

Third, I care way more about what my favorite 'stars' are doing than I should. Just because I don't have a subscription to Entertainment weekly or US magazine doesn't mean I'm not up to date on what's going on in the personal lives of my favorite public personalities. When the first 3 people I thought to follow were people I would most likely never even meet in real life, I had to take a long hard look at my priorities and whether or not I should even have the mind space set aside for such things as who recently divorced whom in Hollywood.

Lastly (and the only good to come of this recent media endeavor) I spent extra time in the Word this morning as felt that the phrase "in the world, but not of the world" needed to be readdressed in my life today. Reading in Romans 12:2, "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." I find myself thinking that maybe opening the account was a good move after all. It revealed my sinful nature in a convicting way that caused me to dive into God's word. It led me back to my creator and showed me my value in Christ. That there is nothing in this world that can satisfy me like His love- not even a growing tally of followers.

I wrap up this insight into my Twitter experience with a small peek into our everyday lives. This morning I ask Luke if he has tweeted to win free Rockies Tickets. His response to me in all seriousness , "Not now, I've been tweeting for Bobbleheads." I turned to him and suggested the strangeness of the world we live in where Tweeting and Bobbleheads are in the same sentence.

@MaryBakerCO
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment