Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New adventure...and a Pirate Room

We're Moving!!! I'm not a huge fan of change, but I am getting excited for our upcoming move. When Luke and I first entertained the idea of packing up our family and heading to new opportunities (after MUCH PRAYER!) both of us had the same concern....Our oldest son. Joshua much like myself doesn't function as well outside of routine and known outcomes. Luke and I brainstormed and we decided that if turned out that God's plan lead us to a move we would be sure to entice Joshua's excitment as much as possible. My first idea for this was to come up with a plan for a superhero bedroom. I thought that I would compile photos of possible super hero decor and show them to him. Well my idea worked!......sort of.



We approached Joshua asking him what he would think of getting a new house, and new bedroom. Things seemed to being going pretty smoothly and he seemed to be understanding there would be packing involved and a long drive and then I proposed the superhero bedroom idea. "how would you like your new bedroom to be a superhero room?" Tada, I thought, but he just looked at me solemn faced for a moment, then came back at me with an unexpected counter offer. His eyes were wide and excited as he announced it, "a pirate room mommy." Like any good negotiator I quit while I was ahead. "It's a deal."
Bag of soon to be pirate room decor



Well since I'd only researched hero decor it took me a few days and a lot of Google-ing to come up with some possible pirate room ideas. Believe it or not there are not that many great 'little kid' pirate room ideas out there, I have had to really stretch my creativity but I think that I am finally on the right track for designing something that I think Joshua will love. As we pack, move, unpack and decorate I know our families will be wondering what we are accomplishing so I plan to update this blog with our status periodically.


the finished banner for Joshua's new room


So far we have about 15 or 16 boxes packed up and have been hard at work throwing things away, and getting somethings ready to donate in hopes of downsizing some. I made the trek to Sioux Falls a day or so ago and got some pretty crazy looks when I asked for advice on what fabrics looked the most Pirate-y. But I have been able to round up some supplies that I think are finally starting to come together nicely for the much anticipated Pirate room. Even though Joshua asks repeatedly when he will be getting his pirate room, for now Luke and I are just glad that he seems excited to be moving and has yet to show any nerves about it.

Next Blog I'll hopefully have the curtains done!


A new ministry adventure is just beginning for us all!







3 comments:

  1. Looks like fun!! I bet if you googled Pirate Parties, there would be some great decor ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did look at few party pics, that's where I got the banner idea. We are trying to use as few skulls as possible so it's making it a little more difficult. I saw a few things at IKEA online too which I can now use because. We're moving by IKEA YAY!!!! I know there will be a lot more googling in my future though :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent baby! I liked that you asked people at Hobby Lobby, "What looks more piratey?"

    ReplyDelete